Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Books, Tea, and other Adventures...



First of all... TICKETS ARE NOW AVAILABLE for "A Celebration of Life," my 21st Birthday Fundraiser on September 16th, online at www.kirstenhaglund.org. So excited to see you there! :)

I love living in California. The weather is always perfect. Seriously. Warm, and no humidity in the day time, hair stays manageable... then cool, sweater weather in the evening... no wasted, "Michigan-only" clothes in my closet! I am so responsive and sensitive to climate... so waking up everyday to such naturally perfect weather feels like such a blessing. I just find myself saying, "Thank you, Jesus for the sun in the sky!" After 20 years of snow, ice, and shoveling the remnants of an April blizzard off of your car... there is much to be thankful for, living in the California Republic.

I was so thrilled yesterday to open up my mailbox to find an autographed copy of Jenni Schaefer's new book, Goodbye Ed, Hello Me! Jenni is the wonderful author of the book Life Without Ed, a humorous, insightful, and down-to-earth personal story of one woman's 'break-up' and recovery from Ed: her eating disorder. Her lastest work, which I received in the mail is its companion. I read Life Without Ed during my recovery, and have since recommended it out as a helpful tool to many young men and women as I travel and speak. I was lucky enough to read Goodbye Ed, Hello Me pre-publication and offer a quote for the first page. I HIGHLY recommend both of these books for both individuals and families going through this battle. Jenni's writing is insightful and real; no lofty language, no 'doctor' talk, just raw human emotions, and humor as well. Everyone can relate to Jenni's story, and she is so honest! It's refreshing. Both books can be ordered from Gurze Books, or Amazon.com. Check it out!

I was thrilled to finally be able to meet Jenni at the NEDA (National Eating Disorders Association) conference last year during my reign as Miss America! She has been and inspiration and a light to so many seeking recovery. I then got to know Jenni through emails, letters, and shared appearances around the eating disorders community, and we have become good friends. I can tell you though, I never would have DREAMED when I was reading her book at a very low point in my eating disorder recovery, that one day I would be happy, healthy, and friends with its author. Life can be STRANGE... but good! All good things here. I just wanted to share/introduce you to her and her work. Both Life Without Ed and Goodbye Ed, Hello Me are excellent reads for anyone traveling the road to recovery. So go forth, and buy! (A good commercial, eh?)

You know how tea just makes you happy? I made a wonderful discovery recently... I have a Teavana (an AMAZING tea store in the mall) within walking distance of my apartment here in LA! I spent probably a half an hour with a friend trying all kinds of teas and just getting weak at the knees because of their goodness! I ended up leaving, my hands wrapped tightly around a warm cup of a piping hot combination... Strawberry Kiwi and Peach Ginger Tea. Absolutely amazing! It tasted like velvet. I'm trying really hard to replace all the coffee in my diet with tea; more antioxidants, and less caffeine, which leaches calcium from your bones. So far, so good!

As for real life...last evening I had the pleasure of auditing an Auditioning technique class I will be taking next month, taught by G Charles Wright, casting director for That 70's Show, and now Patricia Heaton's sitcom, The Middle. The best part about the class? If you do well, after your performance you get a cookie! :) Nice! Last night's were homemade, oatmeal, chocolate cherry chunk, with pecans. Delicious. Everyone in the class, including G, is extremely nice and talented, so I can't wait to learn a lot! After class ended, I finally watched Walk the Line (I had been meaning to see this movie for forever!) with some friends on a really comfy big white couch. I love couches. Especially the ones you just sink right into and the cushions come up all around you. I loved the couch so much it put me to sleep! I missed the last 25 minutes of Johnny and June Carter Cash's overly dramatic life story. I'm really an old lady at heart, I think that's why I always fall asleep so early! Luckily, my friends don't judge me for my heavy lids, and they let me borrow the film to finish it later. Hopefully I'll get to it today... if the myriad of other tasks don't take over what seems to be WAY too few hours in the day.

Off to work! Hope you have a blessed day, and check out Jenni Schaefer's new book! I know you will be delighted.

Love,
Kirsten

"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans."

1 comment:

  1. I love the official invitation, it looks great!!! You make California sound pretty good, where I live it is 110F one day and 70F another, but no matter what the time of year or temperature, it is always humid!! The tea sounds awesome too, I've never heard of Teavana, and I live on the other side of the country so they may not be over here, but I'll have to look online. Also, that info about the caffeine is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete