Monday, August 17, 2009

Beginnings...



Hello Everyone!

I hope anyone and everyone who is reading this is having a blessed day. I'm beginning this blog in an effort to try to keep as many people as possible updated and informed on what the Kirsten Haglund Foundation is doing, what is happening in the eating disorders community, news on upcoming events, and probably a whole lot of personal silliness that will give you a little bit of insight into who I am, and what's important to me. Enjoy! Thank you so much for taking the time to visit, and it is my hope that you'll be able to follow this blog, learn a lot, and be inspired.

Just a little update... the board and myself are currently busy busy busy getting everything prepared for our first big event! The KHF is putting on its first fundraiser, only about 6 months after our 'birth'... a big undertaking, but we've got big dreams! :) The event is a wine-tasting, silent auction, and evening of food and entertainment at Andiamo in Novi, Michigan. We're calling the night, "Alive to Celebrate" Kirsten Haglund, Miss America 2008's 21st Birthday Extravaganza! I feel lucky enough to have it be my big 21st Birthday Bash! What? I'll actually get to taste the wine at my Foundation's wine-tasting? Now... yes I will! But kidding aside, we're in the process of making up programs, finalizing the invite, and all of the other little details that go into making the event a success. Tickets will be $80.00, which is a tax deductible donation, and you can email misskhaglund@gmail.com to purchase, or for more information. You can also "friend" me or the Foundation on Facebook, where we will be posting more detailed info as it comes out. Wish us luck! Got lots of planning left to do... I'm really excited though. A preview of our auction items... we have one of our board members who is an exceptional artist, Kathleen MacDonald, creating some original pieces for the event, as well as some tickets to Detroit Sports events, some Miss America signed memorabilia, and a whole bunch of other goodies. Can't wait to see you there! Seriously.

Coming up after my birthday party (I love that!), I am doing an event in Los Angeles September 25th, in conjunction with the International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals, LA Chapter (IAEDP-LA)... In Venice, California, myself and acclaimed fashion/celebrity photographer Jeff Vespa, are presenting for a program entitled "Real Beauty, Real Body- Body Image and the Media." If you're in LA, you should come check it out! Email me for more info.

Also in the works is a luncheon fundraiser for the Foundation out here closer to my home... in Calabasas, California, just north of Los Angeles. The eating disorders treatment facility La Ventana has been gracious enough to help in our effort to raise money for treatment scholarships... they are hosting a community forum/luncheon, Friday October 2nd. I will be speaking, and we will also have silent auctions items, and KHF merchandise on sale. Jeff and Steve, my good friends at La Ventana have been absolutely amazing and so generous with their time and talents in helping us out. The eating disorders community is filled with the most gracious, kind-hearted, genuine individuals. An example...

I met the coolest guy, his name is Jeff Dooley, who works at an eating disorders clinic out here in Beverly Hills, at the Ben Franklin Institute's Summit Conference for Eating Disorders in Las Vegas earlier in June. We had a great chance to talk there, and both living and working in the Los Angeles area, have kept in touch. While discussing further how we can combine our efforts to fundraise/create awareness in Southern California, I learn that he also is a very talented writer! Wonderful person that he is, he knows I am getting my acting career off the ground, and he invited me to be the supporting lead in the short film that he was getting ready to produce; a work that had been two years in the making. Entitled Caroline and Randy, a quirky relationship dramedy with psychoanalytic perspective, we wrapped filming last Wednesday, and I had an incredible experience working on set, with Jeff and the other actors, and wonderful director Patrick J DonVito. Now, not only are we friends as advocates, but friends as artists. Like I said... individuals in the eating disorders community are some of the most giving people I've ever had the privilege to work with.

So that's a little bit about what's going on in my world... Its a little cloudy here in So-Cal this morning... but it feels kind of refreshing to me. About to go to Cardio Barre; my favorite workout! It's a class that is only offered out here in LA, a mixture of aerobics/free-weights and ballet, but without the soul-crushing combination of a leotard and pink tights. :) I'll be back to update soon, in the meantime, check this out...

Experts: Obsession With Healthy Eating Strains Relationships
FoxNews.com Article


Truth, huh?

Blessings,

Kirsten

1 comment: